I entered Japan from Australia on a working-holiday visa. Taxes have been deducted from my salary, but is it possible to receive a tax refund?

Visitors on a working-holiday visa who stayed less than one year in Japan are basically treated as non-residents under the Income Tax Act.

When a non-resident receives a salary, an income tax of 20.42% and a special income tax for reconstruction will be deducted from the salary. The Japanese government taxes non-residents through this withholding tax. Final tax returns cannot be made, so there will be no refund of tax deducted from the salary.

If you received your salary from a Japanese company or a resident, it is not subject to tax exemption under the treaty.