1 Overview of final tax return

The income tax return is a process where a taxpayer calculates the amount of income earned during the year from January 1 to December 31 of each year and the amount of income tax, and adjusts the excess or deficiency if there is tax withheld at the source or estimated tax prepayment.

2 People who are required to file the final tax return

In principle, you must file a final tax return between February 16 and March 15 of the following year if your total income for the year exceeds the total amount of deduction from income and if the tax amount on the excess amount exceeds the sum of credit for dividends and special credit for loans, etc., received in the year-end adjustment.
However, you are not required to file a final tax return in certain cases: for example, if your salaries and wages are 20 million yen or less, all your salaries which are paid from a single payer are subjected to withholding, and the amount of income except employment income and retirement income is 200,000 yen or less.

For more information about people with the employment income who are required to file their final tax return, see "No.12018 Wage earners who must file a final tax return".

Furthermore, people with public pension benefits paid in Japan who satisfy all of the following conditions are not required to file a final tax return;
1 The amount of public pension benefits earned in the year is four million yen or less;
2 All your public pension benefits are subject to withholding*;
3 The amount of income earned in the year, except public pension benefits is 200,000 yen or less.

* (note) It is included in the case "subject to withholding" that exemption of withholding at the pension benefit payer to whom you have delivered the form "Declaration for Dependents of Public Pension Earner [公的年金等の受給者の扶養親族等申告書]", because the amount of pension benefit for the year is below the prescribed basis.

3 Types of final tax return form to be used

(1) Form A

Use this form if you only have employment income, miscellaneous income such as pensions, dividend income or occasional income, and do not have any estimated tax prepayment.

(Note) If average taxation on temporary income or fluctuating income can be applied, Form B should be used.

(2) Form B

This form can be used by anyone regardless of the type of income.

(Note) Those who have capital gains related to land or building, etc., or capital gains related to stocks and shares should use the Separate Taxation Form (Page 3), or alternatively the Case of Loss Form (Page 4) together with Form B in order to carry forward the amount of loss arising from the calculation of income for the year to the next year or later.